Ronald McDonald House Charities® of New England: Family Rooms
Help Keep Families Close
A Ronald McDonald Family Room is an area set aside inside a medical facility serving pediatric patients intended to serve as a supportive area for family members of children admitted to the hospital for treatment. It replicates a home-like atmosphere when a parent needs a break from the “hospital environment.” It may be equipped with conveniences such as a kitchen, laundry facilities, Internet access, and provides a comfortable and comforting place of respite for patients’ families. Our volunteers help give families time by freeing them up to concentrate on their child.
There are Ronald McDonald Family Rooms at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
A Ronald McDonald Family Room may include:
- A comfortable seating area for guests
- Coffee, tea and non-alcoholic beverages
- A library of reading materials
- Kitchen and dining areas
- Laundry facilities
- Computer(s) with printer and Internet access
- A “quiet room” for families who want to engage in private meditation or
- A private telephone area for guests